A visa for Turkey is an authorization to enter Turkey and stay there for a certain period of time. It allows you to indulge in several activities and depending on the type, even to study or work.
Some visas even allow you to apply for a Turkish residence permit and stay in Turkey for at least a year.
Who needs a visa for Turkey?
There is a long list of world nationals who need a Turkey visa application to enter the country. Only nationals of countries that maintain good diplomatic relations with Turkey are exempt.
Those who need to apply for a visa for Turkey are grouped into two:
- Foreigners can apply for an e-visa for tourism or trade and a sticker visa for other purposes.
- Foreigners should obtain a visa sticker for Turkey for any purpose.
In addition, certain categories are exempt from both groups. See our in-depth article on who needs a visa for Turkey, with full lists of all these categories and exemptions.
Turkish visa application
To apply for a visa to enter Turkey, you will need to complete certain procedures. You need to make sure you complete them all correctly, in the order given. If you get even one thing wrong, your application may be rejected, which may affect future applications as well.
Before you start taking concrete steps, there are a few things you should first learn about applying for a Turkey visa in your home country. First, ask yourself if you really need a visa. If you do, keep reading this article for more information.
- Check which type of Turkish visa you need to apply for.
- Find out when is the right time to apply.
- Gather the required documents.
- Submit request
- wait for processing
Find out when is the right time to apply
The Turkish authorities recommend that you apply for a Turkey visa online sticker at least one month before your trip. In this way, you will be able to avoid the inconveniences that could be caused by delays in the processing of requests.
However, you can submit an application at the earliest 60 days before your planned departure for Turkey.
Check here to apply for your Turkey visa application
You will need to submit your Turkish visa application file to the Turkish Embassy or Consulate in your country of residence. In some countries, you may need to submit your application to a third-party visa processing center, to which Turkey has outsourced visa submission.
Yet, Turkish embassies and consulates are the only authorities responsible for processing in all countries of the world.
Below, find the Turkish visa application process clearly explained.
Apply for a Turkish sticker visa
To apply for a Turkish visa sticker, you must first complete the online form, which contains a few questions about your identity, nationality, and the purpose of your visit. If you do not need a visa for Turkey, or if you are eligible for an e-visa, the system will tell you as soon as you provide this information.
The system will also tell you what type of documents you need to apply for that particular type of visa to enter Turkey.
You will also receive a date and time for your visa interview.
On the day of your interview, you must report to the Turkish embassy or consulate in your country of residence. You will attend a short interview with a consular officer, who will ask you some questions regarding your trip.
Documents required to apply for a visa for Turkey
To apply for a Turkish visa, you must submit a few required documents on the day of your interview. These documents are a very important part of the application process, so you must collect them all according to the criteria and specifications set by the Turkish authorities.
Depending on the type of visa you are applying for, and sometimes your nationality, you will need to submit additional documents.
Turkey Visa Application Processing
The processing of a Turkey visa application depends on the country you are applying from. While in some countries you may get a response within three days, in others the average maybe around 15 business days.
When applying for a work visa, the processing of your application may take 25 working days.
You can track the status of your application on the same website from which you started your application.
Apply for a Turkey visa online
On the other hand, if you need to apply for a Turkey visa online, the application process is much shorter and easier. You must complete the following steps to obtain an eVisa for Turkey.
- Go to the Turkish Visa application site and complete the online application form.
- Check your email. Within minutes, you should receive an email asking you to confirm that you have initiated an eVisa application. If you can’t find this email in your inbox, you probably received it in your spam folder. Click on the link you received, which will take you back to the Turkey visa online application website.
- Pay the fees. You will then need to pay the fee for an eVisa application online at the Turkey visa application website. Once you have paid the fee, the web will tell you that you will receive an email with the visa.
- Download your e – You will receive an email again.
- Print your e – The Turkish authorities want you to present your e-visa in printed form. Showing border authorities a version of your e-visa on your phone or other gadgets is not acceptable. The e-visa must be printed.