Winter brings in snowfall and cold weathers. Indeed, snow-covered land looks beautiful, but what about the roof damages it can cause? Snow accumulation on the roof causes number of damages. But when it melts and refreezes due to cold temperature, it forms ice dams that cause severe damages. Ice dam removal becomes important in order to save your roof from heavy damage. You would need a professional roofing contractor for ice dam removal. Global roofing is the best roofing company in Shrewsbury, MA that has many options for ice dam removal. We also suggest some measures that can prevent ice dam formation.
How Can Ice Dams Damage the Roof?
Ice dams can cause severe water damage that can result in:
- Wood rotting: Roof is generally made of wood that can start to rot, resulting in severe conditions that might need roof replacement.
- Mold Growth: Once the moisture starts entering the house, it can lead to the growth of molds, algae etc. They also cause severe health hazards, in addition to damaging the house.
- Electrical Damage: When water reaches the electrical wirings, it can damage all the electrical appliances and may also cause short circuit. This can be very dangerous for people living under that roof.
- Icicle Formation: Continuous melting of snow can lead to the formation of icicles on the overhangs of the roof. When they break, they may damage roof shingles. Damaged roof shingles are another matter of concern.
- Roof Insulation Damage: When water enter the roof insulation, it can certainly reduce its effectiveness. This can further lead to ice dam formation in future.
To prevent such severe damages, ice dam removal is essential as soon as it is noticed. But it is impossible for you to do it yourself. Even if you try, you may damage shingles or other roof parts rather than solving any problem. Our roofing company in Shrewsbury is well-equipped with all the necessary tools needed for ice dam removal. An ice dam steamer is used by the professionals that help them in melting the ice.
How to Prevent Ice Dam Formation?
Our Worcester roofing experts suggest that proper insulation and ventilation are important for a building to prevent ice dam formation. You must ensure to replace old insulation that has become less effective. All ventilation systems should extend through the roof. Another important preventive measure is snow removal. Ice dam formation can certainly be prevented if snow is regularly cleared using a rake. It is possible to remove snow by yourself. But if you face any difficulty, you can definitely contact the professional roofer for snow removal. We suggest to take professional help to avoid damage to the roof shingles. They have special tools and shoes that are meant for solving such issues.
Global Roofing is one of the best Worcester residential roofers, offering all types of roofing services. We can help you with all your roofing needs. Contact us to know more about our roofing services, we are one of the best roofers near by area!
Also Read This – What’s better for me: Dental Implants or Crowns?