What is Periodontitis?
You must have observed many people around you, maybe your relatives, friends, or others suffering from several disorders of gums. And must have heard them say that it pains a lot and hampers day-to-day activities. You must have heard them say that such disorders prevent them from eating properly, swallowing, and many more.
Periodontitis is one among such disorders. In this article, we will discuss periodontitis. It is gum disease or a type of gum infection that bears the capability to destroy the jawbone. Periodontitis is a type of gum infection that harms or damages the gums. If you are in search of a clinic, you can type Apollo hospital guwahati, and take an appointment for quality oral health check up.
Gums are the areas that are located in the mouth. They are the tissues from which the teeth come through. These tissues that encircle the foundation of teeth in the mouth are responsible for holding the teeth tightly by covering the entire root of the tooth. Gums are also known as gingiva. Anatomically, the gum is a type of connective tissue. They are covered with mucous membranes.
There are several ways to keep your gums healthy and prevent it from getting attacked by any kind or type of infection.
Let us brush up several simple ways quickly.
- You should not only brush your teeth but also brush your teeth properly. Brushing teeth twice a day helps you stay away from different kinds of mouth infections, gum infections, teeth infections, and many more. Different types of bacteria and other harming entities do not get a chance to dwell inside your mouth for a longer period of time and lay their foundation.
- You should choose the right toothpaste.
- Yes! Choosing the right toothpaste is extremely important. Kinds of toothpaste containing solutions of fluoride and that which are approved with the American Dental Association Seal are necessary to consider for personal use. If you are searching for a hospital to know more about dental health, you can search for Apollo hospital guwahati.
- The American Dental Association has declared flossing an important and integral part of oral care. Flossing helps extensively in removing the food particles and plaque from between the teeth. When these substances are not removed from the mouth, it develops into a hard build-up of bacteria known as tartar. This can be removed only by a dental specialist or a dentist. Such build-ups might lead you to suffer from various gum diseases. Hence, flossing is extremely necessary.
- Usage of mouthwash.
- This is another important aspect of oral care that the American Dental Association gives importance to. Mouthwashes are of two types generally a therapeutic and a cosmetic type. The therapeutic one is of immense help because they help in preventing gum diseases, preventing the building up of infection inside the mouth, removing the food particles from between the teeth, reducing the speed at which tartar forms, and many more. Therefore, mouthwash is a great practice to maintain a healthy oral region.
- Stop Smoking.
- This is one of the most important aspects that everyone should pay attention to. Smoking brings a person very close to different types of gum diseases and infections. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), smoking should be avoided to stay away from a variety of mouth diseases because it also weakens the immune system of the human body and invites a lot of respiratory, nervous system, and circulatory system issues in the body.
Periodontitis advances with several stages. They are as follows-
- Inflammation: Periodontitis is a gum infection that starts with gingivitis. Gingivitis, in simple words, is referred to as the inflammation of the gums. It refers to the swelling or redness of the gums. The very first sign of such a mild form of gum disease is when the gums start to bleed whenever brushed or flossed. This stage also reflects a colour change of the teeth known as plaque.
- Early periodontal disease: In this stage, the gums that hold the teeth tightly anchored move away from their previous position or pull away. A person goes through bleeding from the gums while brushing or flossing.
- Moderate periodontal disease: When the early periodontal disease is not cured or is brought under control, it advances to moderate periodontal disease. Here, the teeth lose the bone support and become loose. A person might feel pain around the teeth, the gums recede and suffer from bleeding gums.
- Advanced periodontal disease: In this stage, you are likely to suffer the most. A person loses teeth because the tissues that hold the teeth firmly are damaged. The gums, bones, etc that support the system also get damaged and deteriorated. He or She might feel extreme pain during activities like chewing, etc. He or She might experience a foul taste in the mouth or bad breath. If you are searching for a hospital to have an oral health check up done, you can search for Apollo hospital guwahati.
Causes of Periodontitis
The very cause or factor responsible for such a gum infection is poor oral care. To be healthy orally, it is extremely important to take care of the oral region. It is the storehouse of many bacteria. Some are harmless but some are extremely harmful if not taken care of by following several oral cares or oral hygiene protocols. Following are some of the consequences that a person might confront if proper oral care is not paid attention to.
- When a person does not brush or floss, the bacteria present inside the mouth multiply rapidly and form plaque. It is a kind of sticky substance or deposit on teeth, slightly yellowish in color, which which not treated might lead to gingivitis.
- When plaque is not treated, a hard build-up of bacteria can be observed known as tartar. If you are searching for a hospital to consult for any kind of dental issues, you can type Apollo hospital guwahati, and know more.
- When the immune system of the body tries to fight these bacterial growths in the oral region, there develops inflammation in the gums.
- The condition further deteriorates with time and a periodontal gap might form between the gum and the root of the tooth. Several harmful bacteria dwell here and release harmful toxins that damage the gums, several connective tissues, and several bone structures.
I am Sukanya Singh from guwahati , I have 3+ years of experience in writing various content for my clients, some of my clients are – Agile Infomix, (a digital marketing agency in Guwahati, Apollo Clinic,(Ulubari) Kailash Chand and Sons, Prabha Power, Kute pets, Foody Panda, Singhal & Associates, etc. I have hands on quality SEO-friendly web content, articles, blogs, and other forms of online and social media writing.
Also Read : Cure for Back Pain