According to SEO from India experts, A 404 error message is a status code generated by the Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) that indicates the server was unable to locate the requested website. In other words, your web browser may connect to the server, but the page you’re looking for isn’t there.
What are 404 Errors?. 1
Do 404 Errors Affect My Organic Search Engine Rankings?. 1
What does 404 Error Custom Will Do?.
What are 404 Errors?
While there’s a lot of debate in SEO from India experts about how you should manage 404 errors and their influence on SEO, the reality is that they’re practically impossible to prevent. While it may be tempting to just redirect all 404 errors to the homepage, this is the wrong thing to do.
For a variety of reasons, redirecting to the homepage provides a poor user experience:
- When users click a link to a different page, they’ll be bewildered as to how they ended up on the homepage.
- Users will not be able to get the information they were promised and will be unaware of why.
- Your users may find up to a website that has nothing to do with the link they clicked.
- It’s also a terrible SEO strategy to use 301 or 302 redirects to your homepage. Some website owners and SEOs do this to keep whatever link juice that the removed/non-existent material may have accrued.
- Sending Google to your homepage rather than a page with a 404 status might cause Google to assume your site is a soft 404 error.
- According to SEO from India experts “No, we don’t drop the grades of your site only because you have 404 pages,” Google says. In actuality, 404 errors might have an indirect negative impact on organic rankings.
- Pages having 404 errors will not be able to gain PageRank. If 100 of your sites link to blue widget.html, sophisticated computations are used to determine the blue widget.html page’s internal value. When a website is destroyed (and the URL returns a 404 error), 100 other web pages continue to link to it, but the link juice disappears into a black hole, and the page no longer accumulates PageRank or passes it on.
- External link power that is supplied to blue widget.html will not be passed on to internal pages.
- Even if you don’t have reasons 1 and 2 above, unintentional 404s might reduce your search traffic since a 404 page can’t rank for the information that was previously there. If you have ten pages that each receives 100 visits per day and you eliminate only one of them, you’ll see a significant drop in traffic fairly immediately.
According to SEO from India experts 404 errors, and also your user’s default 404 page, are often unsightly, non-branded, as well as provide only a basic “error has happened” notification. As a result, they may detract from your website’s overall marketing success.
- Creating a personalized 404 page with useful links and maybe a search box is a good idea.
- Lower your bounce rate and keep customers engaged for longer periods.
- Keep visitors on your site and continue through the sales process.
- After a successful resolution to their 404 issues, leave them with a great feeling.
- Keep your website’s branding consistent.
- If you perform a good enough job, you may attract external attention to your brand.
- A word or two on that last point: People like discussing and sharing amusing 404 pages they come upon online. So, like in this HubSpot blog article, a truly good page can gain you some amazing backlinks.