QuickBooks software often encounters several errors that keep hampering users. One such error comes up with the message ‘’The file requested cannot be opened’’. This error is extremely annoying and hampers the work progress. This issue also shows up when you attempt to download or update QuickBooks software and are then unable to apply these updates.
However, there are several remedial solutions that you may adopt to get this technical error (“The file you specified cannot be opened error in QuickBooks”) fixed out. Just make sure you finish reading this post and carefully follow all of the instructions contained herein.
Possible Factors that lead to ‘The File Specified Cannot Be Opened’ Error Message
The error can occur for a number of different reasons. The following are a few of the root causes that may lead to this error:
- Incomplete or unsuccessful QuickBooks installation can result in this error.
- Mismatched admin credentials may be a major reason behind this error.
- Any outdated files for the QuickBooks desktop program.
- A corrupted or damaged company file can also lead to this technical error.
- Incorrect Internet security configurations.
- Unreliable Internet connections
- Windows user account control interrupted the QuickBooks.
- If you do not possess admin access to QuickBooks, then also this error may pop up.
Fix the File Specified Cannot Be Opened Error Message in QuickBooks: Updated Solutions
To repair this issue, follow the suggestions listed below.
Solution 1: Configure Windows Permissions
- Initially, navigate to the “File Explorer” from the “Taskbar.”
- Follow the steps below to find the QB program.
- In case of 64 bit O/S: [Drive:\Programs Files x86\Intuit\QuickBooks XXXX]
- If you are using 32 bit O/S: [Drive:\Programs Files\Intuit\QuickBooks XXXX]
- When you’ve gotten there, right-click the QB folder and choose “Properties.”
- Click on “Edit” under the “Security” section.
- Select ‘Add’ from the menu.
- Type “Everyone” into the field.
- Select “OK.”
- From the Security panel, click on “Full Control” at this time.
- Select “OK.”
- Click on the “Add” tab.
- Enter Users and then select “OK.”
- Check the box next to “Full Control.”
- To save your changes, click OK, and then choose “Apply.”
2: Running the Reboot.bat File
- You need to visit the ‘Properties’ option after right-clicking the QuickBooks icon on your desktop.
- Afterward, you need to opt for ‘Open File Location.’
- Now look for the file named “bat.” Now, right-click the same and opt for “Run as administrator.’’
- Verify that the problem has been resolved after the procedure is finished.
Solution 3: Make sure to launch QuickBooks as a system admin
- Select “Run as admin” after right-clicking on the QuickBooks icon.
- Once it is open, attempt to perform the payroll updates.
- The final step is to shut down QuickBooks and reopen it as usual.
Solution 4: Running QuickBooks File Doctor tool
A comprehensive repair program called QuickBooks File Doctor tool may cure a variety of problems with QuickBooks Desktop. Follow the instructions below to run the same:
- Get the QuickBooks file doctor and install it.
- Launch the tool after installation.
- Choose the problematic Company file.
- Correct the file. When the procedure is finished, be sure the error caused by the message “the file specified cannot be opened error message” has been fixed.
Solution 5: Getting your QuickBooks software updated
- Launch QuickBooks Desktop and select the “Help” tab.
- Now, opt for “Update QuickBooks” from the menu.
- Subsequently, choose the ‘Options’ tab and select the box next to ‘Mark All’.
- Select the “Save” option.
- Follow it up hitting the “Update Now.”
- Select “Reset Update” from the menu.
- Opt for “Get Update” option.
- Watch for the updating procedure to be completed.
- After you’re done, launch the QuickBooks Desktop application.
- Use the screen that appears to install the update.
- Be patient while the updates are installed. Restart your system after you’re done.
Solution 6: Configuring the User Account Control
- Open Control Panel by opting for it from the ‘’Start’’
- Open the “Control Panel” and go to the “User Account Control” Settings.
- To turn it off, move the slider to “Never notify.”
- Select the “Ok” tab.
- If your password is requested, enter it and restart your computer.
We believe that by using the techniques listed above, you should have been able to resolve the QuickBooks Payroll error “The file you specified cannot be opened.” However, if you still need assistance from our QuickBooks error support team via our helpline i.e., 1-800-761-1787, feel free to get in touch with us at any time.
Read also: convert PNG to Word DOCX file