Before starting your preparation for any exam, you must know the exam syllabus well. The syllabus determines the topics, themes or concepts that candidates must focus on. Similarly, the CLAT syllabus includes the topics and skills to be assessed through the CLAT exam. The CLAT 2023 syllabus is available on the Consortium’s official website. It was released in August 2022.
CLAT Exam Structure
The Consortium has released the number of questions candidates can expect in each section for CLAT 2023. The distribution is as follows.
|English including Comprehension||28-32|
|General Knowledge and Current Affairs||35-39|
The marks distribution and weightage of each section is also given below.
|Subjects||Marks Distribution (approx.)||Weightage|
|English including Comprehension||28-32||20%|
|General Knowledge and Current Affairs||35-39||25%|
CLAT Syllabus UG: Skills to be Assessed
The CLAT exam comprises 5 sections. Each section aims to assess a set of skills of the candidates.
- English Language: The English Language section assesses the candidate’s command of the English language. The questions of this section require appreciable reading and comprehension skills. The candidates must also focus on building their vocabulary.
- Current Affairs, including General Knowledge: The CLAT aspirants are expected to be aware of the recent happenings in India and across the globe. Therefore questions regarding current affairs and general knowledge are included in this section. The candidates are advised to read the newspaper daily and get a subscription to a weekly/monthly magazine.
- Legal Reasoning: The Legal Reasoning section demands candidates employ their critical thinking skills and deductive abilities in legal scenarios. The passages in this section include rules and principles.
- Logical Reasoning: The candidates’ logical reasoning skills are assessed through the presentation of arguments. The candidates are expected to analyse the reasoning pattern mentioned in the passage critically. It also includes questions where the candidates must draw parallels and differences between the arguments. Therefore candidates must demonstrate refined logical reasoning skills to ace the section.
- Quantitative Technique: The candidates must know the elementary mathematics concepts to respond to questions in this section. The passages of this section have numerical data that demands the ability to derive, infer and manipulate the numbers.
The candidates must refine the above-mentioned skills and abilities to get a good CLAT score. Constant practice will help you strengthen these skills.
CLAT Syllabus UG: Section Wise Important Topics
Apart from the skills mentioned earlier, there are specific topics that one must focus on. During CLAT’s previous years’ paper analysis, the experts noticed questions on these topics appear pretty often. Therefore, experts in the field have laid out a list of important issues. These important topics are an essential part of the CLAT syllabus. The section-wise lists of important topics are given below.
- English Language
|Sentence Sequence Arrangement||Phrase Replacement|
|Synonyms & Antonyms||Tenses|
|Spotting Error||Fill in the Blanks|
|Active and Passive Voice||Vocabulary Based Questions|
- Current Affairs
|National & International Affairs||Government Schemes|
|Science and Technology||Summits and Conferences|
|Foreign Affairs||Arts and Culture|
|Awards and Honours||Sports|
|Science and Technology.||Eminent Personalities|
- Legal Reasoning
|Fundamental Rights and Duties||Judiciary|
|Parliament- Executive, Legislature, President||Prepositions and facts|
|Important amendments and provisions||History of Indian constitution|
|Important judgments||Current legal affairs|
- Logical Reasoning
|Series||Calendar and Clocks|
|Seating Arrangement||Logical Sequences and Matching|
- Quantitative Techniques
|Profit and Loss||Probability|
|Fractions||Time, Speed and Distance|
|Work and Time||Statistics|
|Ratios and Proportions||Number System|
CLAT Syllabus PG
The CLAT syllabus for postgraduate courses is not divided into distinct sections. Rather the aim is to assess the candidates‘ knowledge of the subjects studied in their undergraduate law courses. Therefore, we can only list essential topics for the CLAT PG exam 2023.
The important topics for the CLAT PG exam include:
- Constitutional Law
- Administrative Law
- Criminal Law
- Company Law
- Law of contract
- Environmental Law
- Family Law
- Property Law
- Public International Law
- Tax Law
- Labour & Industrial Law
- Other contemporary law-related issues.
These are the major topics one must cover to get a good score in the CLAT PG exam.
You must focus on the skills that each section aims to assess along with that study for the important topics mentioned. The refined skills and proper understanding of the topics mentioned will surely help you get a good CLAT score.